We’re delighted to announce that applications are now open for the BISA Workshops’ Conference to be held on May 14-15 2020 in Birmingham.
The workshops are an opportunity for groups to come together to discuss and develop projects. The subject of the workshop should relate thematically to International Studies or to the career development of scholars working in the discipline. A workshop may involve any of the following:
• the presentation and discussion of papers for an edited volume or journal special issue
• the coming together of an existing research group (for instance a BISA Working Group, a group working on a collaborative research award or an application)
• a writers’ retreat
• a teaching team wishing to workshop changes to curriculum, assessment, feedback and student engagement
• continuing professional development
We are open to suggestions on other themes and formats.
Each workshop will have dedicated space at the venue in which to work, and will have access to overnight accommodation, meals and a plenary event. The conference site has room for up to nine workshops. We envisage each workshop as having 8 to 12 participants.
How to apply
Applications should be made by a potential workshop convenor using the form at the bottom of this page. You will need to include a summary of no more than two pages of A4 stating the purpose of the workshop and a list of its potential participants. Should the workshop be approved, there is no further application process. The submission is done on behalf of the group, in other words, there is no subsequent requirement for individual applications.
The Workshops are open to both BISA members and non-members, although we do require that the convenor is a member of the Association. Participants can be drawn from any career stage including PhD students. We encourage convenors to take into account gender balance when constituting their workshop.
The cost per participant is £250 for BISA members and £350 for non-members. PhD students enjoy a reduced rate of £150 per participant. The cost includes an evening meal and overnight accommodation on the night of 14 May 2020, breakfast on 15 May 2020 and lunch on both days.
Key dates and deadlines
• 29 November 2019: applications close
• 20 December 2019: notification of approved workshops
• 31 January 2020: convenors to confirm participants’ details
• March 2020: detailed joining instructions circulated
• 14-15 May 2020: workshops’ conference held