This document sets out the terms and conditions associated with membership of the British International Studies Association (BISA). Please read the document before purchasing your membership and refer back to it should you wish to remind yourself of the terms. When you become a BISA member you agree both to the terms of this document and the principles laid out in our Code of Conduct.
BISA membership is open to any individual with an interest in International Studies and related subjects. This includes:
- academics and practitioners of International Studies and related subjects;
- postgraduates, researchers, undergraduates and A level students of International Studies and related subjects;
- individuals and organisations who are committed to the advancement and development of International Studies through research, teaching and knowledge exchange;
Our membership fees are determined by the Executive Committee and are reviewed in December each year. The membership year runs for a 12-month period from the date you join unless a lifetime retirement membership is taken out. If an increase in fees is deemed necessary by the Executive Committee, you will be notified and new fees will be implemented by 1 January each year, or the date of your next renewal, whichever falls later.
We have set membership fee levels to reflect economic and professional status i.e. whether you are in employment, retired or a student. We hope that this initiative will ensure that all those who wish to join our scholarly and professional community are able to do so.
We reserve the right to carry out membership fee checks to ensure that you have purchased the correct category of membership. If it is found you are not on the right fee structure we reserve the right to either cancel your membership, or ask you to pay the difference in price.
Your fees must be paid in full when you join and are only refundable within 14 working days of taking out your membership. Non-payment of membership fees will result in cancellation of your membership.
You will be sent an automatic renewal email before your membership expires with further details. If a direct debit has been set up your membership fees will be taken automatically.
Membership cancellation by you
You are free to cancel your membership at any time, however no refund will be given after the 14 working day grace period.
Membership termination by us
If you are found to have breached or violated any part of this agreement or the principles laid out in our Code of Conduct, we reserve the right to terminate your membership. This decision will be taken by the BISA Chair, Secretary and Director and endorsed by the Executive Committee.
Any such decision will be subject to the following process:
- you will be given at least 21 days’ notice in writing of the date of a meeting of the BISA Executive at which the decision to remove your membership will be discussed, and the reason why such a decision is being proposed;
- you or your representative (who need not be a member of BISA) will be allowed to make representations to the meeting (either in person or in writing) as to why your membership should not be terminated;
- the decision of the Executive Committee is final and is not open to appeal.
We appreciate that if you are reading this document prior to becoming a member, our terms and conditions may sound rather formal. Be assured that for the overwhelming majority, membership of BISA is very rewarding and that by joining BISA you become a member of an expanding, dynamic and supportive organisation.