Each week BISA Director, Juliet Dryden, scours the internet for IR-related content that might interest you. Here she brings you this week's best readings and podcasts to keep you up to date with what's happening around the world.
- Please don’t intentionally infect yourself. Signed by an epidemiologist. Greta Bauer for the New York Times
- The pandemic’s toll on women: COVID-19 is gender blind but not gender neutral. Read Melinda Gates in Foreign Affairs.
Race, cancel culture, censorship, others
- How Capitalism drives cancel culture. Read Helen Lewis in the Atlantic
- A new ideology? The Economist explains how enlightenment liberalism is losing ground in the debate about race.
- White lies matter: The deep and often surprising roots of British and American racism. Read Sarah Churchwell in Prospect
- How should I refer to you? He, She, One, They, Ho, Hus, Hom, Ita. Amia Srinivasan reflects looking at Dennis Baron’s new book ‘What’s your pronoun’ in the London Review of Books
- Why do non-profits with zero tolerance for sexual misconduct seem much more willing to tolerate racism? Read Angela Bruce-Raeburn in the New Humanitarian
- Nick Cohen in the Guardian on the spectre of intolerance and censorship from today’s left.
UK and World politics
- Post-Brexit Britain’s foreign policy looks a lot like the old one. Read the Washington Post
- Podcast: Listen to Twilight of Democracy from TALKING POLITICS. Anne Applebaum on Poland, Trump, Brexit, Hungary and Spain
- Podcast: Listen to Putin's People with Catherine Belton and Edward Lucas from Intelligence Squared. The untold story of how Vladimir Putin and his entourage of KGB men seized power in Russia and built a new league of oligarchs
- Podcast: A Turning Point for Hong Kong. Listen to The Daily on how China is exerting control
- A divided Poland? Daniel Fried comments for the Atlantic Council
- Defying the US. China and Iran work towards a trade military partnership. Read the New York Times
- Peter Beinart on the death of the two state solution in the New York Times
- Podcast: What would annexation of the West Bank look like. Listen to the Guardian podcast series
- Making sense of the Yemen war. Elizabeth Kendall reflects for Engelsberg Ideas
- Is the Saudi government plotting against another US based critic? Dexter Filkins for the New Yorker
- The trouble with turning the Hagia Sofia into a mosque again. Read Ishaan Tharoor’s take on the matter in the Washington Post.