To help you with your transition to online teaching we've pulled together some resources you might find useful. In particular, we recommend the articles related to making your online teaching accessible and inclusive.
If you know of anything we've missed please do let us know by emailing our Communications Manager Chrissie Duxson: Chrissie.Duxson@bisa.ac.uk so that we can keep this page updated.
Online teaching advice and guidance
- Coronavirus: 14 simple tips for better online teaching http://theconversation.com/coronavirus-14-simple-tips-for-better-online-teaching-133573
- How to Be a Better Online Teacher https://www.chronicle.com/interactives/advice-online-teaching
- e-Learning and Distance Learning Policy https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/academicservices/qualitymanual/studiesawayfromtheuniversity/e-learningpolicy.aspx
- Dan Hough, The tricky path from offline to online teaching; five misconceptions https://www.bisa.ac.uk/articles/tricky-path-offline-online-teaching-five-misconceptions
- Towards Best Practices in Online Learning and Teaching in Higher Education https://jolt.merlot.org/vol6no2/keengwe_0610.pdf
- Free OU course: Take your teaching online https://www.open.edu/openlearn/education-development/education/take-your-teaching-online/content-section-overview?active-tab=description-tab
- 16 Answers To Your Questions About Teaching Online https://www.socialsciencespace.com/2020/03/16-answers-to-your-questions-about-teaching-online/
- Alternatives to Zoom https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/1/21202945/zoom-alternative-conference-video-free-app-skype-slack-hangouts-jitsi
- How To Teach Online: Providing Continuity for Students https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/teach-online
We've held wide range of webinars on teaching and learning. You can find them all in our Learning and Teaching playlist on our YouTube channel.
The tricky path from offline to online teaching; five misconceptions - Dan Hough shares best practice on the transition from offline to online teaching
Resources for online teaching - We pulled together a list covering online teaching, inclusion and help from publishers
Books for the lockdown - BISA Chair, Mark Webber, asked academics and publishers what lockdown reading they would recommend
Adapting to lockdown - A summary of discussions from our PGN virtual meet-up on adapting to lockdown
Networking in an age of social distancing - Peter Finn provides tips from a range of academics on how to network in an age of social distancing
‘No buildings from September: what on earth do we do about the learning experience’? – event takeaways and reflections - BISA Communications Manager, Chrissie Duxson, reflects on the recent one-day conference from Aula and WonkHE
COVID-19 - BISA Global Health Working Group research and response - A look at the activities of the Global Health Working Group and members during the COVID-19 crisis
Beyond alternative: assessment as the forgotten piece in online learning - Simon Lightfoot, Simon Rofe and Helen Williams discuss
Access to information in a changed learning environment - Stephen Thornton discusses libraries, book chapters, licensing and financial implications
Teaching IPE online: thinking about ‘pandemic pedagogies’ in the IPE classroom - An excellent piece from our International Political Economy Working Group
Do you want to write a COVID dissertation? - Sophie Harman, a member of our Global Health Working Group, gives some advice about coming up with dissertation topics related to COVID.
Help and resources from publishers
- https://www.macmillanihe.com//page/covid-19-supporting-your-teaching/ - includes an online learning webinar
Equality, diversity and inclusion
Lecture slides on COVID-19
- Jeff D Colgan, Political Economy of Coronavirus -- slides for teaching https://sites.google.com/site/jeffdcolgan/current-politics?authuser=0
- Jeremy Pressman, Thinking about Covid19 in an Intro to IR course https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1TxSatHfFqu2OYir-6eAU42d6GVbQofDqkjvQoZf743U/edit#slide=id.p
- Brent E Sasley, Things to Consider in the Wake of COVID19 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovwr3fditiuy7p6/Things%20to%20Consider%20in%20the%20Wake%20of%20COVID19.pptx?dl=0
- Yixian Sun, Developmental States and Public Health (COVID-19) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V9px06AhWJoz0_HzbkKGTaSLjDjdZFze/view