We are delighted to announce the shortlist for this year’s L.H.M. Ling Outstanding First Book Prize. Eight excellent books made the list and will be judged by a committee led by BISA trustee Hassan Elbahtimy.
“I’m delighted to announce the short list for the L.H.M. Ling Outstanding First Book Prize. It is the second year we have offered this prize to celebrate the invaluable contributions made by early career scholars to our discipline. We received excellent nominations this year reflecting the breadth of high-quality and exciting research taking place across International Studies. Congratulations to all for the shortlisted works.”
Here are the books which made the shortlist:
- Zainab Mai Bornu - Political Violence and Oil in Africa: The Case of Nigeria, Palgrave Macmillan
- Sean Fleming - Leviathan on a Leash: A Theory of State Responsibility, Princeton University Press
- Courtney Fung - China and Intervention at the UN Security Council: Reconciling Status, Oxford University Press
- Daniela Lai - Socioeconomic Justice: International Intervention and Transition in Post-war Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cambridge University Press
- Nivi Manchanda - Imagining Afghanistan: The History and Politics of Imperial Knowledge, Cambridge University Press
- Hendrik W Ohnesorge - Soft Power: The Forces of Attraction in International Relations, Springer
- Charles B Roger - The Origins of Informality: Why the Legal Foundations of Global Governance are Shifting, and Why It Matters, Oxford University Press
- Gavin Sullivan - The Law of the List: UN Counterterrorism Sanctions and the Politics of Global Security Law, Cambridge University Press
All books were published in 2020.
The L.H.M. Ling Outstanding First Book Prize is awarded for an original and innovative book published in any field of International Studies by an early career scholar. The aim of the prize is to honour the work of L.H.M. Ling and to recognise outstanding early-career research in the discipline.
The winner will be announced at our annual conference on 21-23 June 2021. Book your place now.